Additional Adoption Resources
Have I overwhelmed you with information over the past two weeks? I’ve included a link list near the end of this post with all the posts in my series, so you can catch up if you missed anything, or to come back and re-read if you want to digest some of the info before moving onto the next topic!
I asked adoptive families to suggest resources for further information. Some of these books and resources are ideal for families just considering adoption, and some are fabulous for families who have already adopted and may need post-adoptive support.
Recommended adoption resources:
One mom says she always recommends Loving Shepherd Ministries because their online process to help a family deal with the information overload and narrow their options is “just amazing.”
Several families recommended Focus on the Family resources.
I agree with the moms who say they found great encouragement and knowledge from other adoptive family’s blogs! There are SO many great bloggers out there willing to share their hearts and their experiences. Do you have recommendations? Please leave them in the comments!
After hearing so much about Christine Moers YouTube videos, I watched them myself and she’s great. Highly recommended.
I also encourage you to pin/bookmark An Adoptive Mother’s Prayers or download the free pdf version for your personal use.
I’ve collected a list of recommended books. I have only read a few of these, but my “To Read” list has grown substantially! To make these books easier to find quickly, I’ve created an online list; as I find more recommendations, or read more myself, I’ll add them here: Adoption Resources. A few of the books below may be out of print but look for used copies; I’ve included direct links where I could.
Recommended books about adoption:
- Adopted for Life – Russell Moore
- The Connected Child – Kathryn Purvis (bonding)
- Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control: A Love-Based Approach to Helping Attachment-Challenged Children – Heather Forbes (bonding)
- Building the Bonds of Attachment – Daniel Hughes (bonding)
- Handbook on Thriving as an Adoptive Family – Focus on the Family (bonding)
- It’s Okay to Cry: Helping Children Through the Losses of Life – H. Norman Wright
- When Love is not Enough – Nancy Thomas (bonding)
- In Their Own Voices – Rita Simon (transracial adoption)
- Spiritual Parenting – C. H. Spurgeon (parenting)
- Bringing Up Boys/Bringing Up Girls – James Dobson (parenting)
- Power of a Praying Parent – Stormie Omartian (parenting)
- Adopting The Hurt Child – Gregory C. Keck (foster or older child adoption)
- Parenting Adopted Adolescents – Gregory C. Keck (teens)
- Pieces of Me: Who do I Want to Be – Robert Ballard, EMK Press (teens)
- Beneath The Mask: Understanding Adopted Teens – Debbie Riley (teens)
Just because I’m done with this 10 Days series doesn’t mean I’m done with the topic of adoption! Writing this while in the process of adopting for the second time has been good timing for me, and I’ll be sharing more about that as we go along. It’s already so different this time than it was when we adopted Lindsey. Doing this series has made me think of even more I’d like to write about in regards to adoption. So keep coming back, friends! (Or go ahead and subscribe!)
Previous posts in this Adoption series:
- 10 Days of Adoption: Introduction
- Why is Adoption So Important?
- If We Want to Adopt, Where Do We Begin?
- Common Types of Adoption
- Greatest Misconceptions About Adoption
- Can We Afford to Adopt?
- Special Needs Adoption: Could I Handle It?
- One Big Happy Family: Bonding in Adoption
- Biggest Hurdles and Challenges in Adoption