Homemade oatmeal cookies make every day a little bit better.
It’s impossible to keep these cookies around for long. Even for a photo.
But they do make for happy faces, like Ken’s as he enjoys a still-warm cookie with a mug of cold milk.
Shall I share my super-secret recipe? I got it from the back of an old metal canister, but not the [newer] canister in the photos above. I actually don’t know that happened to that old one, but I did write it down, and put the recipe in my handy dandy little binder.
So since I love y’all…
Super-Secret Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
Recipe Type: My family’s favorite cookies!
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening (Note: if you use vegetable oil, the cookies will be flatter; if you use shortening, it’s very hard to mix. So I usually do about 1/4 cup shortening + 1/2 cup vegetable oil)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- optional: add raisins, nuts, or chocolate chips. (Our favorite add-in is swirled chocolate chips!)
- Beat together shortening, sugars, egg, water, and vanilla.
- Add combined remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
I hope your family enjoys these cookies as much as we do!