“Laura stood up on the board and Pa held her safe by the arm, so she could see the town. When she saw it, she could hardly breathe. She knew how Yankee Doodle felt, when he could not see the town because there were so many houses.”
– from Little House in the Big Woods
Wilmington is a fun town with a neat vibe. We spent most of the day in the big town to do some shopping at stores we don’t have near us (like Trader Joe’s) and made way too many jokes about going to town like the Ingalls family. While in town, we parked the horse and wagon, and had lunch at a delightful cafe where I ate a burger as big as my head.
from around the web:
- Can teaching mathematics with music boost student achievement? :: Some schools have “injected” arts to their core curriculum, with good results.
- Peace :: I’m not here yet. A good word for adoptive parents.
- 6 ways to keep Advent simple and special :: Wonderful ideas. I like the thought of taking it slow and building anticipation.
- Sibling Gifts on Christmas Eve :: Such a sweet tradition.
- Millennials and Syria :: Food for thought.
right here at home:
I’d planned to start back to homeschooling this week, but Sunday night Jem was sick, and the new math I’d ordered to start with Scout didn’t come til mid-week, and I’ve been fighting a cold/cough. So instead, I tackled more boxes — and I’m winning! Only five more boxes left to unpack!
We’ve been taking on some DIY projects, donating more things we don’t need, and generally trying to get our new house looking and feeling like home. It’s getting there. But goodness, gracious, we need a routine ASAP!
At the beach to watch the sun set after a family bike ride: